Labels

The random musings of a college girl who enjoys just about everything. I enjoy talking and reviewing, so please, feel free to stay a while, sit down, enjoy a coffee. While attempting to find a way to live forever I have come to at least recognize the truth so universal (though I can't say I've given up my quest). So this is my attempt at taking the most from life with the time I have. After all, forever is not so long.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Why You Should Play An Instrument

Hello everyone.

Again, I have not been holding true to my word and I have been a slacker. Please forgive me.

My first report is that my juggling has been going… fairly well. We’ll leave it at that. I am a very uncoordinated person, so the fact that I can keep three balls in the air for even a couple of seconds is pretty impressive. I’ve also decided to try and add yoga to my daily schedule. Which is pretty busy to begin with. I think I might as well train myself to become an insomniac, because that seems the way my life is going. I actually like staying up pretty late. I feel like I get a lot more accomplished. Well, at least at night. The next morning my body is not so sure of that.

But there is also something that I’ve been meaning to post about: why you should learn to play a musical instrument as soon as possible, if you don’t already. Obviously there are several benefits to doing so.

Firstly, it gives you a sense of accomplishment. I know better than most that it’s hard to learn instruments at first, given that I play quite a few of them, but once you stick to it, there is nothing more gratifying that saying you can play that instrument and being able to learn whatever song you want on your chosen instrument. Granted, some are easier than other (bongos vs. clarinet) but they are all worth it in the end, because the learning never stops. Music is a constant process, and I think that’s part of what makes it so wonderful. You can always learn new songs or tunes on your instrument and keep feeling that same sense of accomplishment every time.

Secondly, the social aspect of it. I have been to so many parties, gatherings, social events, even places like a park where there are just people wandering around where either myself or someone else has broken out a guitar, and people just gravitate towards it. Guitar is the easiest to make friends using, but when you’re with others and you have your instrument, you can just pick it up and bam, almost always instant admiration. I have met countless people and made friends out of those I’d never even spoken to before just because someone or myself had a guitar out and was strumming it. It’s such a great way to break the ice. Another great way to meet others is to play a weird instrument that not many people can claim they play. I play ukulele, which usually results in people coming over and commenting on it. My friend plays the didgeridoo and will carry it around with him while we are out, and you wouldn’t believe how many people he meets just by having it on his back. It’s amazing.

Thirdly, and a mix of the first two, is the places playing an instrument will take you. Now not everyone makes money off of playing music, and it requires one to be really good at their chosen instrument to do so, but hey, if it becomes your passion, go for it! If all you ever even do is strum on your guitar alone in your room, there is still a certain gratification that you get from it that you can’t get anywhere else. The fun things you can do with an instrument and the people you meet are bonuses, but nothing ever holds a candle to how it feels to strum that first chord or learn your first song or play in front of your first crowd. It’s a different kind of experience that everyone should get.

That’s all I have for you tonight. I promise to start posting more often again.

Je T’aime,

Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment