Labels

The random musings of a college girl who enjoys just about everything. I enjoy talking and reviewing, so please, feel free to stay a while, sit down, enjoy a coffee. While attempting to find a way to live forever I have come to at least recognize the truth so universal (though I can't say I've given up my quest). So this is my attempt at taking the most from life with the time I have. After all, forever is not so long.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Volunteering & New York City

Hi again.

I’d just like to share with you a little bit about an amazing opportunity that came to me. A few weeks ago a friend of mine got me in touch with a guy who was leading a mission trip of sorts to New York City. Namely what we would be doing there would be helping the homeless. I love doing things like that, so I was all over it and ready to go, even if it did mean I was going with a bunch of people I’ve never met before. That’s the fun of it though, going out and trying new things in sometimes scary situations. I wasn’t intimidated really, but it was definitely an out of comfort zone experience.

Anyway, it was one of the most amazing weekends of my life. If you’ve never done any kind of volunteer work, I would highly recommend it. Even if it doesn’t seem like something you’d like, try it anyway. Almost always I’ve found people come out of volunteer experiences feeling good about themselves and with a happier attitude about life, which I think is something we all need. It definitely doesn’t have to be as out there as going to New York City to hand out blankets and sandwiches to homeless people in bus stations at one in the morning; it could just be going to your nearby Animal Shelter or even a retirement home. Just anything to get you out there helping somebody or something for the better good.

The people who I went with were amazing as well. I’m not sure I’ve ever been around a more welcoming, kind group of people in my life. I’ve decided that I like going places with random people that I’ve never met before; it presents a great opportunity to get to know people who you haven’t known for forever. Growing up in a small town it’s hard to find people within a fifty mile radius who I don’t at least know by word of mouth, so it was nice to get out there with some people who I’d never met or even heard of before.

So that’s my little you should volunteer schpiel. But honestly, it’s definitely an experience, and even if you don’t enjoy helping others (though I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t) at least you’d take something away from it. It’d be good for anyone, guaranteed. And it’s always nice to make our world a little bit of a better place.

So get out there and do something that will change your life and someone else’s!

Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment